Tuesday, February 2, 2010

We Are The World

We Are The World...is a TERRIBLE song. It doesn't make me a bad person, it just shows that I have a good ear for music. 

Look, I don't care that they are remaking that piece of deuce, especially because ever nickel it makes will be directed toward the much needed relief help in Haiti. A 7.0 earthquake in a country that was already in desperate need of help just seems to be cosmically unfair. It looked like Armageddon when Los Angeles had one in 1994, and that city was literally built to survive such natural disasters. But let's get back to the song.

I have no problem with We Are The World as a concept, just as long as everyone and I mean everyone associated with it raises one million dollars. Period. I don't care how the money gets raised but every single person needs to be responsible for one million dollars. [editor's note- I am lifting this idea directly from Rosie O'Donnell who, in a radio interview with Howard Stern, talked about refusing to do the September 11th fund drive without a million dollar commitment from all of the A-Listers involved. Bravo Rosie] This means everyone needs to be staked to one million dollars. From the warbling soloists that wouldn't know where to find Haiti if they narrowed it down to the Island, to the sound mixers. You want in on the record? Write a check. No discussions. 

But Trip, that seems unfair, those pitchy Whitney Houston-Bodyguard-Era wannabes have so much money and the lighting guy makes scale. And I always loved the Cyndi Lauper, Willie Nelson, Huey Lewis and the Snooze's epic song of peace and support. You are a cold heartless, bitter and surprisingly cynical person, and will never again read your blog. 

Ok, let me take this one at a time. First of all the song is terrible. It just is. There are all kinds of sing-a-longs that have worked in the past and this just isn't one of them. All You Need Is Love, anyone? Secondly, I am not suggesting that the union guys that donate their time should have to take out a second mortgage to make this thing happen, but I am saying the the "Haves" should make up the difference. Let me put it this way if 100 people are responsible for singing, mixing, writing and recording the song, then 100 million dollars should be donated to the cause. And that doesn't include the record sales. I mean before a note is warbled, before Jamie Foxx sings anything, there NEEDS to be 100 million dollars on the way to Haiti. 

And don't tell me that you give quietly, people NEED to know. Be the leaders that our kids think you are.

There's nothing you can do that can't be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment